If you have been dismissed from your job in Melbourne with very little or no warning and you think your dismissal fits the definition of being dismissed in a ‘harsh, unjust, or unreasonable manner’, then you may eligible to apply for unfair dismissal and to receive reinstatement, damages or compensation.
What counts as unfair dismissal?
So, what does being dismissed in a ‘harsh, unjust, or unreasonable manner’ actually mean?
- Feel there wasn’t a valid reason for your dismissal
- Weren’t notified of a reason before you were dismissed
- Weren’t given an opportunity to respond to the reason for your dismissal before you were dismissed
- Weren’t previously warned about unsatisfactory performance
- Think you were dismissed because of your: race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, mental or physical disability, pregnancy or nationality, or due to a temporary absence of work due to injury and more.
If any of this sounds familiar, then you may have been unfairly dismissed. If you need legal advice regarding an unfair dismissal in Melbourne, our employment and discrimination lawyers can help.
Melbourne Lawyers & Mediators represent clients across a range of employment disputes. We have experience in Contract Law, Discrimination Law and Workplace Law. If you have been subjected to a breach of contract, an unfair and wrongful dismissal, workplace discrimination, bullying, harassment, work related stress and more, then contact us today.
How Melbourne Lawyers & Mediators can help you
Melbourne Lawyers & Mediators has been involved in a variety of workplace employment and unfair dismissal matters. We can assist with:
- Drafting employment contracts, terms and conditions
- Advising you and providing representation for cases of unfair dismissal
- Drafting and negotiating the resolution of industrial and workplace disputes
- Offering advice for workplace contracts, including termination of employment
- Drafting terms and conditions of internet and email usage
- Discrimination and harassment issues
Applying for Unfair Dismissal
If you’ve been unfairly dismissed, you can file an unfair dismissal application to the Fair Work Commission for reinstatement or compensation.
It’s critical to lodge an unfair dismissal application within 21 days of your dismissal becoming effective. Day One commences the day following your dismissal. If you are thinking of filing an application for unfair dismissal, we can help. Make an urgent appointment to see one of our lawyers today.
If you missed the deadline, the Commission may extend the time period for lodging the application only if the Commission is satisfied there are exceptional circumstances for not lodging the application on time.
Why Choose Melbourne Lawyers & Mediators?
Melbourne Lawyers & Mediators is a small, yet vibrant, progressive and culturally sensitive law firm based in Broadmeadows and central Prahran. We have extensive experience in Employee Disputes and Unfair Dismissal claims. Our team consists of some of the best employment lawyers in Melbourne who would love to answer any questions you may have, so contact us today.