We would like to thank the Muslim Legal Network and the LIV for inviting us to join an enlightening and entertaining panel discussion on how to rank as one of the top candidates for a job position in the legal field.
Courtesy to the Muslim Legal Network for highlighting the most important career tips emphasized during the seminar:
- Know what job you are applying for, and tailor your application respectively. For instance, do not mention (in detail) your commercial experience for a property law position (Ravi Wickramaratne, Gatehouse Legal Recruitment)
- Do not let the fear of vicarious trauma prevent you from dabbling into the human side of law, such as criminal and family law (Mehnoz Bowler, Leo Cussens Centre for Law)
- Always work with legal excellence – know your law well, and know the legal processes that you must follow (Meryem Apak, Melbourne Lawyers and Mediators)
- Be true to yourself. If you’re not comfortable taking on a task or working in a particular field because it doesn’t align with your values, then don’t. (Susan Pincus, College of Law)
- Put in hard work and effort, especially during recruitment season. Don’t absent-mindedly memorise five lines from the firm’s website ‘about us’ section. Be genuine, and only mention things about the company that you’re genuinely interested in. (Clare Lawrence, Ashurst)
Always remember, be prepared, be confident and be your best!